Monday, March 23, 2020

It’s been awhile and WOW a lot has happened (También - Me Voy por los Estados)

Sorry for not writing this group email in so long!! You’ll see why throughout this email because yeah it’s been pretty crazy.

Okay so starting from 2 weeks back: We finally moved apartments!! After staring at that falling ceiling for 4 months and stuttering our steps trying to write down every “for rent” sign we passed by they moved us into a 4th floor apartment that feels like a MANSION (even though it just has 3 rooms, a bathroom, a kitchen, and a living room). We may be living with literally every spider in Perú in there but it’s all good, just helps me conquer the fear of spiders.

Last Sunday everything went CRAZY. We were looking for a particular family that we had an appointment with (literally searching for them in a market) when we realized that almost all the streets are empty except for the markets which are PACKED, then a member who speaks English ran up to us and told us that the US is entering into a state of emergency, quoted Donald Trump for a good 5 minutes, then told us the President of Perú is starting a quarantine for at least 15 days. About an hour later we got a message from Hermana Strong telling us to drop everything and print off a list of groceries that they sent us (included in another email) and then go buy it all immediately (on a SUNDAY). We went to the one super market there is in our entire zone called “Precio-Uno” and it was like a war zone or an apocalypse movie. Then we got a message telling us to go straight to our homes right after we bought our groceries for safety and from there they finally told us that we are entering into quarantine!

From there we’ve been in quarantine this whole time, only leaving to eat lunch at our pension and MAYBE visit a member of the church or a super reliable appointment - one of which we got to visit an older married couple with whom we had extended a date to be baptized!!

Then, last night, we got a panicked call from our district leader telling us to write down TONS of numbers, and that we had to call them and that the mission president is going to call the entire mission right then. In which, he told us that sadly, all of the foreign missionaries (me, as I’m foreign to Perú), will be returning to their own countries, spend 2 weeks in quarantine in their own houses, and then be reassigned to finish their missions in the U.S.

I know, HUGE turn of events in just this little time. I’m quite honestly still not sure what to think but I am extremely sad that I have to say goodbye to all the people I’ve come to know and have helped come closer to their Heavenly Father. Of course I wish I could have more time here, and if it had been possible to spend my entire mission here, but nevertheless I know that God has called me to serve here for this time, and that my mission in the US will STILL be the mission that he has called me to serve in from that time on. I’m excited for all that’s waiting for me in the future, and extremely grateful for the experience I’ve had here and the progress I’ve made. All this does is help me and everyone trust more in Him and His plan for us!

Always remember that He loves each and every one of you. That He knows you individually and personally, more than anyone else possibly ever could - even yourself. I know everything is pretty confusing and crazy right now but as long as we remember it’s all in His hands and continue in faithfulness, we will experience His promised blessings of peace and joy in this life, and the life the come. I love you all!

Elder Pollock

No comments:

Post a Comment