Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Last day at the MTC

To:you + 23 more Details

WOW okay my time in the MTC has absolutely flown by. I actually can't believe that I am leaving for the field in just 6 days!!

This past week has been pretty awesome, there's nothing in particular that has made it so but it's just been really good! We got new teachers and at first our district was worried because we had such amazing teachers the first 3 weeks and didn't know how it could possibly get any better but SOMEHOW we managed to get what I can only describe as the funnest and most productive classes that I've ever had. At first it was difficult because our teachers only speak spanish and the one in the morning in particular speaks ridiculously fast, but we've come so far in being able to understand Spanish and sound more fluent when we are speaking and feel much more confident as we teach. At the same time, they also make the classroom so fun. We love to joke around and one of our teachers just says "apostasía" whenever we get distracted or anything which is now one of my favorite words. You can tell they really care about us and want us to be successful.

So the way Sundays work around here is that every missionary prepares a talk in Spanish about a topic in an assigned lesson in Preach My Gospel and the president of the branch announces who's talking at the beginning of the meeting. On Saturday night I finished writing my talk and was so satisfied with my work and honestly WANTED to get called up so I could share it with everyone. I get to the meeting and it's started and everything and I realize I LEFT MY TALK IN MY ROOM so naturally the branch president announces my name as the first Elder to speak in the meeting. I was definitely a little panicked. But this experience helped me become so much more confident in my Spanish and in the gift of tongues because as I relied on the Lord for help I was able to give my talk teaching about the restoration of the gospel with my only resource being unmarked English scriptures and what I remembered from writing the night before and afterwards be told by everyone how they loved and appreciated it. "BAM the gift of tongues is true" - Presidente Michelson

Scriptural Thought: Alma 37:6,7 - "Now ye may suppose that this is foolishness in me; but behold I say unto you, that by small and simple things are great things brought to pass; and small means in many instances doth confound the wise. And the Lord God doth work by means to bring about his great and eternal purposes; and by very small means the Lord doth confound the wise and bringeth about the salvation of many souls". For me, there have been many times where I have been caught up waiting for "great things", and I haven't payed attention to the small and simple things by which Heavenly Father works. When waiting for these great things (like trying to learn an entire language), it's so easy to get frustrated and confused as to why you just can't seem to get there, but as I've tried to focus and appreciate those very small means I have not just seen the progress that I've made and the blessings I've received but have been so much more motivated to make even more progress and have received even greater blessings as I've appreciate the smaller ones.

My district is hilarious. We watched "The Testaments" 2 Sundays ago and haven't stopped quoting it sense and now just have inside jokes galore. Somehow Elder Solum and Elder Jensen laughed for 10 minutes straight about a backwards "S", which I am still confused about. There are also some mind games that have been passed down since 3 years ago that we are continuing to pass down to the "next generation". Also Elder Murray has an uncle who literally lives in a container and so he always talks about how he wants to move to Australia, buy a container and live in it hunting spiders and we can all have a CCM district reunion in his container.

I am so excited to go out into the field so soon. It's difficult sometimes here as we're just preparing to teach others and aren't really able to do too much missionary work but as I remind myself of my purpose as I'm learning I always feel super motivated and want to consecrate all my time and effort to the Lord that he can prepare me to bring people happiness and peace in their lives. I am so grateful for this opportunity to completely dedicate myself to the Lord in this time, and to become so dependent on Him for everything in my life. 2 Nephi 4:20 - My God hath been my support; he hath led me through mine afflictions in the wilderness; and he hath preserved me upon the waters of the great deep", just as Lehi, whenever we rely on God and his support (through his revealed gospel, the prophets of old and of these latter-days, truly being converted unto him in thoughts actions and heart), he will lead us through all of our afflictions and (2 Nephi 4:21) "He hath filled me with his love, even unto the consuming of my flesh".

You are all in my prayers, and please never be afraid to turn to God, our loving Heavenly Father, in all things, in happiness and struggles. He will support you. Next time you hear from me I'll be in the city, bringing all this message of joy!

Elder Pollock



No comments:

Post a Comment